Sunday, February 28, 2010

And we're off...


What did I say that sounded like "Tell me about your day?"
-- Dogbert, April 21, 1995


As promised, here is the "exciting" adventure of my trip from New Jersey to Kill Devil Hills. This is what I saw most of the way down there. (Well, normally it was a road with cars outside the windshield, not a rest stop in Maryland. I'm too much of a wimp to photograph myself while driving at 60-70 mph.)

This is the first trip I've taken when I've really been plugged in. I took my laptop on a trip in 2008, but only used it once or twice to check my e-mail and look at a few random web pages. This trip, I plan to actually tell people what I'm doing.

The thing in the middle of my dashboard isn't just a GPS, it's my Droid. I've got the web at my fingertips. I was, for the most part, pretty impressed by its ability as a navigator. Once, when I took a wrong road, it immediately told me to take a U-turn. Since there were too many cars to do that, and I went straight ahead, it recalculated, telling me to make three rights to get back on track.

Since I was mostly driving, I didn't do much. I don't think I can make filling up at the Texaco that interesting (though as a New Jerseyan, it's a novelty to pump my own gas. Since I wanted to stretch my legs by then, I didn't mind.) I did see billboards on the way up here advertising the world's largest hammock, which I may or may not check out tomorrow.

There's not too much else to say. I'm staying at the Wilbur and Orville Wright Days Inn, because a) it's got a great name, and b) they had good rates. Plus, since it's offseason, they upgraded my room at no charge.

So tune in tomorrow when I see what the Outer Banks have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment