Tuesday, March 9, 2010

But it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind?

Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage.
-- Trainspotting


Below are a few rather random thoughts I had on my drive from Naples to Charleston.

1. Florida puts its politics on the road. While I was there, we saw several license plates that said "Choose Life." As you can see by the quote I chose, I suspect it means there are many people in the state who favor legalizing drugs. That's pretty daring; in New Jersey, the special cause plates are for issues like "honor our soldiers" or "protect endangered species." On the off chance I'm misinterpreting it, I also saw some billboards that seemed pretty anti-abortion, saying something life "a heartbeat begins in 18 days" and including some 800 number to call. Strangely enough, while I was there, I also saw several billboards advertising vasectomy services. Are either of these really appropriate? I'm used to my billboards advertising booze, vacations, restaurants, fireworks and other goods. But the most political I've seen before is "vote for X" signs. And does anyone

2. As I mentioned earlier, I heard "Shot Through The Heart" several times on my trip down. On my way to South Carolina, I heard "Sister Golden Hair" (will you meet me in the middle/ will you meet me in the air/ will you love me just a little...) at least three times. America is a popular group here.

3. A dishwasher is no longer the coolest thing I've had in a hotel room. This one (a Sleep Inn) has a fully functional ceiling fan.

4. My GPS took me on some pretty backward roads. I thought it would keep me on big roads like I-95. Instead, it took me on relatively smaller roads, through Arcadia in Florida. It was nice and rural feeling. I passed a couple of drive-in restaurants, and was tempted to stop at one for lunch, but a) wasn't hungry and b) wanted to stretch when I ate, since it was a long drive. And there was a period after I entered South Carolina when I was on this stretch of road where there was not another car behind me for 45 minutes. Since the sun had set, it was almost creepy; I'd look in the rear view mirror and see blackness behind me.

5. After arriving at the hotel, I was hungry (I'd missed dinner). Since the two closest choices were a Chic-Fil-A and a local wings bar called D.D. Peckers, I decided the bar was the safer and more tasty bet. They have a nice variety of buffalo wings. Strangely enough, the last time I ordered wings was also when I was on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment