Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thanks to your local library

Pathetic human race. Arranging their knowledge by category just made it easier to absorb. Dewey, you fool: Your decimal system has played right into my hands!
-- The Big Brain, Futurama

Since we were unimpressed with Blockbuster's selection, and since we still wanted to watch movies, and since they're free at the place referred to in the above quoted episode of Futurama as a "lie-berry" we went to the Naples Public Library to see what was available.

When we approached it, I thought it must have been a church at one point (see photo). Apparently, it wasn't. It was built for this purpose. Except for that little sign on the right hand side of the entrance, which lists its hours, you'd have no proof of its purpose.

In all honesty, it looks like a nice building. I didn't look around it too much, except for its video section, which seems decent. Too decent.

When you check out a DVD from Naples, you can keep it for up to three weeks. Twenty-one days. Five hundred and four hours. And we're not talking only for documentaries, but for all movies. That strikes me as a bit excessive.

There is a limit -- but a generous one -- on how many you can take out. While we were waiting in line, the people ahead of us had the following conversation:

CIRCULATION: I'm sorry sir, but you're only allowed to have six videos out at a time. You already have one checked out, and you're trying to check out six.
PATRON: Yes. I have six I want to check out.
CIRC: But you have a DVD at home already, right?
PATRON: Yes. I've got that documentary.
CIRC: So you can only take out five more.
PATRON: Okay. So can I take all these out?
CIRC: No. There are six here.

(If you enjoyed this conversation, and want to see others like it, I recommend the website notalwaysright.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment